Friday, August 18, 2006

Da Block

My block ain't like your block
You remember hopscotch, tap tap tap and bike patrols
I remember drug dealers, crack vials and crack heads

My block ain't like your block
You remember hide-n-go-seek, freeze tag and red-light-green-light 123
I remember being ostracized, not having any friends for the day and watching everyone else play

My block ain't like your block
You remember fun, friends and arcade games
I remember the lady from upstairs running down to our apartment holding her son in one hand and her bloody face in the other. I remember being teased everyday, being molested and keeping that secret (because those aren't things that happen to us right?)...who cries for the child whose innocence is lost while a single mother hustles for a dollar and a better life for her daughter?

I cry for that little girl who didn't get to play everyday, who cried herself to sleep and put a brave smile on her face hoping the memories will
be erased.
Why did you leave? What are you running from? Will you come back?
I won’t go back to stay. Because even though there has been gentrification and beautification, and although Guliani cleaned up the streets and put more cops on the beat,
All I see is corners where drug dealers and crack heads used to stay,
The streets where I used to watch everyone else play,
The building where I was molested...

My block ain't like your block

1 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Words.worth said...

My block speaks
Like hip-hop speaks to bee-bop
Like cops speak to crooks
Like chess boards speak in the parks
To would be bishops of rooks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home